Thursday, February 20, 2014

a great mystery

"I'm googling that."

Let's be honest. I think we say this on a daily basis.  Lately, we've been reading up on multiple sclerosis, lyme disease and treatment options. Fun stuff.

Back in February 2013, I tried electrodermal screening for the first time. (Read about it here and here and see what you think. Check out my EDS technician's company too and read her testimony.) Certain parasites and viruses were found in my body though, and in May, Lyme disease had surfaced, along with 'leaky gut'. Oddly, I was a little excited that Lyme had surfaced. Apparently, Lyme can be misdiagnosed as MS and vice versa. Add leaky gut into the mix too (symptoms of MS can be brought on by a leaky gut). You're killin' me smalls. Maybe I didn't have MS after all?

I'm currently taking DesBio therapy drops (borrelia-babesia and candida plus). They seem to be helping with my energy throughout the day. Caffeine and my diet drastically affect my energy too. I do notice that I'm not as tired during the day (and less prone to get sick) if I'm taking my drops consistently. At my check-ups, my parasites and bacteria have been clearing out too.

A few months ago, I sat down and tried to recall how and when symptoms occurred. When I first started having symptoms, I found it helpful when I read stories of other people who went through the same thing. It reassured me that I wasn't losing my mind when I would trip or lose balance ;). I hope that recording my progress could be helpful to someone who might be going through the same thing.

A side note: I think it's easy to read too much about medical conditions and not consistently pray about it. Sometimes, I read stories that were extreme (and rare) cases of MS. It would be easy to get discouraged or worried by these, but I had to remember that every case, person, and opinion are different.


Time flies.
Summer 2008 - November 2009
Tingling sensation in left hand and foot. Left foot and hand weakness; can't pop or move toes around. Left ankle weakness ('drop-foot'); tripping and ankle easily rolls.

Would go running and trip from foot weakness. Walking up stairs or wearing heels to work was difficult. (I found this out the hard way when I bit it in front of my students at school. Not cool. No more heels.) I'm more likely to trip if I rush and am more cautious as I step with my left foot; unable to walk in any shoe with a high sole. After resting, walking barefoot is easy. When working in the house or out venturing, walking barefoot can be difficult.

*Went to the chiropractor for a few months for readjustments and electrotherapy. Tingling sensation stopped, so we thought the problem was solved. Put testing/diagnosing on hold because I became pregnant.

November 2009 - June 2010 (Mae is born.)
Heat triggers a "relapse" with hand and leg weakness (weather, running errands or showering). It might be difficult to raise my hand or do something simple, like cutting food, opening a bottle, blow drying hair, or pushing the stroller. Suppressed symptoms from pregnancy? Preeclampsia (high blood pressure) towards end of pregnancy.

July 2010
More testing. Had a brain MRI and spinal tap. P.S. I'm 86% sure I'd sign up for another C-section over a spinal tap any day? Worst 3-day headache ever.

August 2010  
Diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Started Betaseron treatment, but stopped January 2011 when I became pregnant.

Summer of 2011
Started physical therapy to strengthen hand and leg. Got an AFO brace before Deacon was born. I rejoiced not only in the birth of our beautiful son, but also over God's provision in giving me a brace. My parents graciously bought it for me too. Those unattractive pieces of foam and plastic are muy expensive and my insurance wouldn't cover it. Thank you God, I could walk again.

Fall/Winter 2013
Left eye vision is sometimes funky in hot, sunny weather or when running errands outside. Off balance; running into wall corners and veering to the left. No running or jogging. Cold weather causes leg spasticity (tense or 'stalled' movement).

2014
Same ol', same ol'. Similar symptoms, but sleeping better (homeopathic drops?).


It's encouraging to read through this timeline again and be reminded of God's provision through it all.  I never want to define my life by my illness, but it has definitely affected my thoughts and attitude over time (in positive and negative ways).  I tend to have that "If I could run…I would..." or "If I were healthy… I could" mentality and that's not trusting God with what's set before me. The truth is that I'm blessed and thankfully, I don't have to rely on my flesh to pull through this life. And that's easier said than done most times.

If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you. Romans 8:11



1 comment:

  1. Friend, your walk encourages me and reminds me to be grateful for things big and small. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete