Tuesday, November 5, 2013

surpassing worth

Every day, whether we perceive it to be a "good" or "bad" day, is controlled by a powerful God.  In trials or on days when I seem to be doing good, God is perfect. Comforting? Absolutely. Do I believe this? Most days, it's tough.

It's very easy for me to doubt God's hand in things, especially if something I love is at risk. Comfort. Loved ones. Time. Pride. Sleep. Health. Control.

Me: When you whine and argue with mommy, it's disrespectful and it doesn't show me or God that you're being grateful. You weren't being patient when I was trying to help brother.  Mommy doesn't have patience sometimes and I did get upset with you earlier….     

Mae: Yeah. Mommy, listen, you need to have self-control.  

Self-control. Check. Thank you Holy Spirit.

Little things like this show me the importance of being real and honest in front of our kids.  Do we lay down the earthly things we love for the sake of knowing Christ? Control over my health is a big one for me.

I recently read over John 9 again and was reminded of God's power when he gives sight to a blind man. Jesus says, "It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him." It's difficult to be joyful or understanding with health at times, but I should trust that God is molding me more into his character. It's hard to be humble in front of our kids when I mess up, but I should trust that they will see grace and forgiveness through Christ.  

But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.  Philippians 3:7-8

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.  Hebrews 4:15-16

1 comment:

  1. I love you! and I love this beautiful reminder of His grace and mercy!

    ReplyDelete